Hot News
Manchester United provide squad update after Covid-19 outbreak
23/12/2021 11:38:20

Manchester United have close to a full squad back in training at Carrington after more players reported on Wednesday.


The training ground reopened on Tuesday after a four-day closure to the first team following a significant Covid-19 outbreak at the club.


That forced last week's fixtures against Brentford and Brighton to be postponed and United took the decision on Thursday to close Carrington to the senior squad.


But some players began to return on Tuesday and more - including Cristiano Ronaldo - made their first appearance on Wednesday.


Some players only spent 10 to 15 minutes at Carrington before leaving, including Van de Beek, Mason Greenwood, Jesse Lingard and Luke Shaw - but training sessions have taken place over the last two days as part of a staggered return.


United still expect some squad members to return on Thursday as preparations for the December 27 trip to Newcastle continue.


The return of so many first-team players to training has increased the likelihood of that fixture going ahead, with the Premier League confirming earlier this week that the festive fixture schedule would remain unaltered.


Marcus Rashford has been at Carrington on Tuesday and Wednesday and he's revealed that most of the group are now back in training.


“The lads have been training and today we brought all the rest of the lads back to training, there are only a couple left that will be coming in tomorrow," he told the United website.


“So, we’ve pretty much got the full squad back, which is a positive going into the week.”


After the postponement of two fixtures last week it will be 17 days since United have played when they take to the pitch at St James' Park the day after Boxing Day.


But under Ralf Rangnick they've played two and won two in the Premier League, beating Crystal Palace and Norwich City by the same scoreline of 1-0, and Rashford is keen to build on that over the festive period.


“Everyone is looking forward and everyone is very positive at the minute," he said.


"We were all disappointed when the last game got cancelled but, at the end of the day, there’s nothing you can really do about it. We have to just focus on the next game that will be played and hopefully that game goes ahead.”

  • Contact us
  • Telephone:+234 8139842929
  • E-mail:service@ilot.ng